This Learning Centre has been implemented to assist educators who are interested in promoting cross-cultural education both within and outside the formal school curriculum.
The goals of the Learning Centre are:
• To increase community awareness of the historical, economic and social contributions of Blacks in B.C.; and
• To stimulate and enrich cognitive and emotional development of students by drawing on historical perspectives and everyday experiences; and
• To identify realities and dispel myths concerning Black pioneer settlers in B.C.; and
• To recognize the dimensions of cultural diversity and its impact on the community; and
• To expand student’s understanding of the role of Blacks as pioneer settlers through an appreciation of the historical images and important contributions they have made, and are making, in B.C.